The winners of the Restaurant Association Metropolitan Washington's annual awards were announced last night in the packed ballroom of the Wardman Park Marriott.
A panel of judges chose the following winners ...
• New Restaurant: The Source by Wolfgang Puck
• Fine Dining Restaurant: Equinox
• Upscale Casual Restaurant: Poste Moderne Brasserie
• Chef of the Year: Eric Ziebold of CityZen
• Rising Culinary Star: Barton Seaver, formerly of Hook
• Pastry Chef: Heather Chittum of Hook
• Wine and Beverage Program: Passion Food
• Restaurant Employee: Joel Guagliano, Zaytinya
• Restaurant Manager: Molly McWhorter, Chef Geoff’s Downtown
The public chose these winners ...
• Hottest Bar Scene: Central
• Power Spot: Oceanaire
• Neighborhood Gathering Place: Hank's Oyster Bar, DC
• Voters' Choice Restaurant of the Year: The Monocle
RAMW named Phyllis Richman, former food critic of The Washington Post, the recipient of the Duke Zeibert Capital Achievement Award, and she entertained the crowd with stories of how difficult it was to break into the food industry as a woman in the 1970s.
Ben’s Chili Bowl received an honorary RAMMY for its longevity, history and cultural significance to Washington. Jaleo received the Where Magazine Visitors’ Choice Award.
In a touching tribute to the late Joan Hisaoka, who was the gala’s PR chair since 2003, the Associate Member of the Year award was re-named the Joan Hisaoka Associate Member of the Year. Foodservice Monthly received the award.