Seven Ways To Celebrate Mushroom Month
Did you catch that it's national mushroom month? No? Well ... here's your chance to fete the fungi.
1. Sign up for the mushroom cooking class at Equinox. Saturday, Sept. 13 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., chef Todd Gray will provide hands-on instruction for several mushroom recipes, followed by a three-course lunch featuring mushroom dishes. Class with lunch is $100 per person. Call the restaurant at 202.331.8118 for reservations.
2. Check out the Mushroom Stand at the Penn Quarter and Dupont FreshFarm Markets.
3. Try chef Philippe Piel's mushroom and chicken crepes at Ici Urban Bistro. The dish features four types of mushrooms with sautéed chicken wrapped in a buckwheat flour crepe.
4. Feast on PS 7’s five-course mushroom tasting menu all month. Chef Peter Smith is crafting a nightly tasting menu, highlighting local mushroom varieties.
5. Order Oyamel's quesadilla huitlacoche with Oaxacan cheese and Mexican black truffles.
6. Sample chef Brian Robinson's mushroom tapenade, made with roasted artichoke, roasted garlic and oyster, crimini, shitake and chanterelle mushrooms at Restaurant 3. The restaurant sources their fungi from Pennsylvania's R.L. Irwin Mushroom Company.
7. Hit happy hour at Nage for the mushroom tasting trio ($17), offered from 5 to 7 p.m. Chef Kevin Reading features three tastes of mushroom dishes such as porcini popovers, mushroom strudel and oyster mushroom soufflé.