Savory Style: Whoopie Inspiration
It was a big week for the humble whoopie pie — The New York Times declared that the sweet treat is having its moment. Counter Intelligence was on the case a whole year ago, and its status seems to have only gained momentum. For this edition of Savory Style, I'm taking a color combo cue from the whoopie pie with a round-up of chic black and white items.
1. I just inherited an espresso machine, and these sharp-looking cups would make a graphic morning statement. Museo Mundo espresso cups, 4-piece set, Target.com, $9.99
2. This bone china tray from Vermont designer Laura Zindel is so very whimsical. Ladybug platter, Lille, $133
3. A stylish apron from the famed Finnish design company. Marimekko apron, Go Mama Go (1809 14th St. NW), $43
4. These funky ceramic cups would look great holding bright spring flowers. CAKE Octopi cups, Design Public, $18 apiece
5. Better than the bulky reusable bags from grocery chains, these lightweight sacks fold into a tiny bundle to fit in a pocket or purse. Envirosax Monochromatic 5-pack, Greater Goods (1626 U St. NW), $36.50 or $8 for single bag
And two whoopie pie recipes: the Times version and a mini version from "Real Food for Healthy Kids."