Deals For Small Diners
Free food! Not that kids' menus usually run to the big bucks, but here's a round-up of some great deals around the metro area. This is by no means a comprehensive list (hey, I'm just one woman), so please add on your favorites in the comments.
• 2941: Get the kids started early on fine-dining decorum with 2941's nightly $25 three-course kids tasting menu (kids 12 and under). A refreshing break from chicken fingers and hot dogs, the children's menu changes regularly and offers choices like warm pea soup with mousseron mushrooms, hanger steak and chicken breast served with home fries or vegetable fricassée.
• Austin Grill: At this Tex-Mex chain's multiple locations, Tuesday is officially kids' night, when they eat free.
• Kitchen: On Sundays at this Southern-flavored spot, the wee ones eat free from 5-7 p.m. Kids get free dessert Monday through Saturday from 5-7 p.m.
• Mrs. K's Tollhouse: This historic Silver Spring restaurant just introduced a “Family Happy Hour” available all summer from 5-7 p.m., Tuesday through Friday. Happy hour features five half-price small plates (like steamed PEI mussels, spicy Creole-style jumbo shrimp, and chorizo and potato croquettes) with half-price wines for adults and summer thirst quenchers like lemonade for kids. Kids get half-price mini burgers, chicken tenders, hot dogs and complimentary ice cream sundaes. What's more, the restaurant's two-acre garden gives kids room to roam.
• Old Glory: In Georgetown, the chilluns (10 and under) eat free Sunday and Monday with any adult entree of $10 or greater from 5-7 p.m.
• Silver Diner: This local diner chain offers a whole calendar of kids' night activities, including fairytale nights, magicians and coloring contests.
• Surfside: At Glover Park's beachy Surfside, kids eat free on Tuesdays with the purchase of one dinner item.
Please add on in the comments ...