Top Chef Five Bites: Mike Isabella & Bryan Voltaggio
Bravo's "Top Chef" Season 6 premiered Wednesday night with contestants Mike Isabella, executive chef of Zaytinya, and Bryan Voltaggio, executive chef and partner at Volt in Frederick. They're both still in the game, and they've both let Metrocurean in on five of their favorite dishes in the DC area.
First up, Isabella reports on what he likes to eat when he's not on the clock:
1. Dragon's breath “liquid nitrogen popcorn” at Minibar by José Andrés
2. Roast pork and preserved egg congee at Full Kee
3. General Tso’s wings at The Source
4. Cheese burger at Five Guys
5. Red velvet cupcake at Georgetown Cupcake
And, now, Voltaggio's turn:
1. Any of the fresh baked goods at the Baughman's Lane farmers market in Frederick, Md., on Saturday mornings from Cakes for Cause. My son particularly likes the lemon ginger scone. Sort of Saturday morning tradition
2. Pizza Anatra at Urbana. Chef Alex Bollinger uses house-cured duck prosciutto, quail eggs and spicy arugula. Great with a vinho verde from the glass list.
3. Kibbeh nayeh (and of course the pita with spreads) at Zaytinya
4. White pizza with housemade sausage (I add the sausage to the pizza on the menu. Yes, I know, chefs, we don't like it when people change our plates, but this is good!) at Mangia e Bevi in Urbana, Md.
5. Burger, village fries and a shake at Good Stuff Eatery
Previous Chef Five Bites: Cathal Armstrong, Dani Arana, David Guas, Josh Short, Michel Richard, Haidar Karoum, Ryan Morgan, Shannon Overmiller, Anthony Chittum, Jonathan Krinn & Jon Mathieson, Victor Albisu, Vatche Benguian, John Snedden, Nicholas Stefanelli, Travis Olson, Brian Robinson, Cliff Wharton, Alex Bollinger, Massimo Fabbri, Daniel Bortnick, Rob Weland, Olivier Perret, Dennis Marron, Dean Gold