5 Great Rainy Day Bars
Grab a stool at Stoney's to wait out the rain.
The forecast calls for rain through midweek, which has me thinking about the best local bars for hunkering down, cold drink in hand, to ride out the rain. Requirements: good beer, a casual vibe, and maybe some big windows for watching the dreary raindrops fall.
Here's a few ideas to get our list going, heavy on my 'hood since hey, who wants to walk far in the rain? Gimme some geographic diversity, and let me know your favorite rainy days spots in the comments.
• Stoney's: My favorite spot is a seat in the front window for some P Street people watching.
• The Passenger: A kimchi hot dog and a well-balanced cocktail from one of the Brown brothers should banish the rainy day blues.
• Room 11: Order me a panini, oozing cheddar and mozzarella, at this cozy Columbia Heights corner bar.
• Tune Inn: You haven't lived in DC until you've enjoyed a beer under the dusty stuffed animal heads at this 60-plus-year-old Capitol Hill institution.
• The Saloon: No TV and a no standing policy make the Saloon my favorite low-key gem on U Street. The amazing beer selection helps, too. (Closed Mondays.)