Food News Round-Up
Chef Mike Isabella will help Stuff the Bus during Venga's two-week food drive.
Daniel Swartz, Revamp.com
• Venga is joining forces with DC Central Kitchen for Stuff the Bus, a two-week food drive running from Sept. 17-30. For a full schedule and how to support the cause, visit stuffthebus.com. And be sure to come out to Birch and Barley on Sept. 28 from 6-7 p.m. where I'll be helping stuff the bus. Also appearing on various days are local chefs and celebs Jose Andres, Mike Isabella, Spike Mendelsohn, Ryan Zimmerman, Darrell Green, Cokie Roberts, Jonathan Karl, Luke Russert and Ed Henry.
• Former Mendocino Grille chef Drew Trautmann is taking over the space at 2606 Connecticut Ave. to open District Kitchen this fall, reports WaPo's Tom Sietsema. The chef tells Sietsema he's channeling Baltimore's Woodberry Kitchen with the new spot — a very good idea if you ask me.
• Alexandria's new Virtue Feed and Grain has debuted a new pajama brunch, the first Sunday of each month. A set menu for $23 per person includes coffee, juice, a main course like corned beef hash with poached eggs, and a spread of breakfast dishes such as pastries and yogurt. Actually show up in your PJs and you get 10 percent off your bill.
• The new concept from Chipotle, ShopHouse Southeast Asian Kitchen, is getting close to opening in Dupont Circle at 1516 Connecticut Ave. Eater digs up some not-meant-for-public-release photos from the fast casual restaurant's site.
• DC, I am very impressed. Bottlenotes reports that the District leads the nation in wine consumption, attributing our oeno-dominance to embassies big entertaining budgets. I think they're reading too much into our obvious affinity for wine.
• Chef Rob Weland has left Poste Moderne Brasserie, where he tended a massive garden on the Hotel Monaco's spacious patio. WaPo's Tim Carman talks to the chef about what's next.
• H Street Great Street reports that the popular taco pop-up Tacos Impala that ran last winter may get a permanent home on H Street NE.
Upcoming Food Events
• Sept. 15: 5th Annual Brainfood Grill-Off (come say hi to Metrocurean!)
• Sept. 15: 826DC Wine Tasting Fundraiser
• Sept. 18: Watershed's Inaugural Patio Clam Bake
• Sept. 18: Olney Farmers Market Farm-to-Table Dinner
• Sept. 19: "Hunt, Gather, Cook" Book Dinner at Lyon Hall
• Sept. 20: South African Wine Dinner at Restaurant Eve