• Michel Richard is planning to open Meatballs, a joint dedicated to, yes, meatballs at 626 E St. NW in Penn Quarter, Prince of Petworth reported Monday. Eater follows up with a few more details on the new spot.
• Jumbo slice, watch your back. Mellow Mushroom opened Monday in Adams Morgan at 2436 18th St. NW. The chain, born back in 1974 in Georgia, offers pizza, calzones, salads and doughy pretzels with parmesan and garlic butter (at right) that I ate my fair share of in college. There's also 24 draft beers.
• Chef Ron Tanaka, who recently left Cork, will take over the kitchen at New Heights, reports the Washington Posts' Tom Sietsema.
• A fun little piece of news to lust over: WaPo's Tim Carman talks to the owners of Beverly Hills' SLS Hotel, home to José Andrés' critically acclaimed Bazaar, about the possibility of bringing the luxe concept to DC. Sounds like we're in the running.
• The online auction for FreshFarm Market's annual Farmland Feast is chock full of dreamy food experiences, from a cheesemaking weekend with Firefly Farms to a week's stay at Baja, Mexico's Rancho la Puerta. Start bidding here.
• Through Oct. 22, local restaurants are donating proceeds to support America's farmland during Dine Out For Farms.
Oct. 20: A Global Feast for the Senses with the Saffron King
Oct. 25: Dino's Great Lakes Brewing Company Beer Dinner
Oct. 28: Wizards in the Kitchen Book Party at L2
Oct. 30: Ode to Offal Dinner at Queen Vic
Nov. 5: Arcadia and Woodlawn's Vices That Made Virginia