It's been quite a while (I don't know, maybe years?) since your Metrocurean camp counselor has chimed in with 5 Bites. And with some particularly delicious meals under my belt already for 2012, now seems like as good a time as ever to divulge some of the tastiest tidbits. I just returned from a visit to New York City, so you get a bonus this Friday: 5 Bites DC and 5 Bites NYC.
5 Bites DC
1. Uni sandwich on fried brioche with romesco, pickle and allioli, at Rogue 24's Rogue Session with chefs José Andrés and Ruben Garcia (Get seats to upcoming Rogue Sessions on Gilt City DC.)
2. Pork cracklins at Mintwood Place
3. Gooey Spanish miticrema cheese, fried pickle, roasted carrot ribbon on top of bruschetta at Cork
4. Cornmeal hushpuppies with bread and butter pickles at Vermilion
5. Bourbon pecan pie at Pearl Dive Oyster Palace
5 Bites NYC
1. Flash-fried shishito peppers with yuzu salt at Ippudo (pictured)
2. Black garlic chicken with winter vegetables (with Campari and soda on draft) at Frankies 570
3. Friend of the Devil cocktail, made with sweet vermouth, Campari, rye, Pernod and bitters, heated by a red hot poker, at Booker and Dax
4. Rabbit "boys" sandwich with shredded rabbit meat at Roebling Tea Room
5. Chilcano Reds cocktail, made with pisco, raspberry shrub, creole spices and soda, at Maison Premiere
Do you love reading where your fellow city dwellers are eating? Help keep the 5 Bites pantry stocked! Share all the delicious things you've been eating and drinking by e-mailing five of your favorites and whether you'd like your name and a picture included to metrocurean AT gmail.com.
Browse all delicious 5 bites in one place.